From the ABM Protocol:
- Online supports:
– Increasing use of Facebook and social media groups for support
– Online milk sharing communities (i.e., MilkShare, Eats on Feets)
– ‘‘Birthing and Breast or Chestfeeding Trans People and Allies Facebook Group’’
– Helpful searches may include ‘‘trans’’ or ‘‘LGBTQ’’ and ‘‘breastfeeding’’ or ‘‘parenting’’
– Internet mailing list for lesbian, bisexual, and transgender mothers
– Breastfeeding and parenting from a transgender perspective (milkjunkies.net).
- Health care providers
– GOLD learning online: Jaye Simpson ‘‘LGBTQ Parents and Lactation—An Exploration in LGBTQ Culture’’ available at: https://www.goldlearning.com/lecture/221 .
- Professional organizations:
– World Professional Association for Transgender Health.
– La Leche League International, https://www.llli.org/breastfeeding-info/transgender-non-binary-parents/.
- Group meetings:
– Peer support is an important predictor of a parent’s success attaining their personal breastfeeding goals. Trans parents and other LGBTQ+ families may already feel isolated, especially if they do not
know other LGBTQ+ families.
- Where’s the Mother? Stories from a Transgender Dad, by Trevor McDonald
- Breastfeeding without Birthing, by Alyssa Schnell
- Care of the Same Sex Family (2019, ILCA)
- Ten Strategies for Supporting LGTBQIA Families, Lactation Matters, Blog of the International Lactation Consultant Association, 2020
Glossary of LGBT Terms for Health Care Teams, National LGBT Health Education, Center
- Lactation Care for Transgender and Nonbinary Patients: Empowering Clients and Avoiding Aversives, Trevor Kirczenow MacDonald
- Lactation Support and the LGBTQI Community, by Alice Farrow
- LGBT Parenting, ACLU
- Personal Gender Pronouns, USBC
- Supporting a Breastfeeding Mother, La Leche League UK
- 10 Tips For Caring For LGBTQ Patients, by Anne Devine
- Tips for Allies of Transgender People, GLAAD
- Transgender and Non-Binary Parents, La Leche League International
- Transgender FAQ, GLAAD
- Transgender Men and Lactation: What Nurses Need to Know, Emily Wolfe-Roubatis, BA, BSN and Diane L. Spatz, PhD, RN-BC, FAAN
- Transgender parents and chest/breastfeeding, by Trevor McDonald
- Tips for Transgender Breastfeeding and their Lactation Educators, by Trevor McDonald
- Two Women and a Baby: LGBTQ and Breastfeeding, By Jaye Simpson, IBCLC, RLC
- Yes, Trans Women Can Breastfeed — Here’s How, By Katelyn Burns
- Co-Lactation Infant Feeding Plan
- Queer Inclusive Breastfeeding Support Guide (Boston Breastfeeding Coalition)
- Social Media Toolkit (MomsRising)
- Supporting All Families During Lactation, 2019 NBCC presentation by Stephanie Carroll, Appalachian Breastfeeding Network
- Breastfeeding Outside the Box – Alyssa Schnell
- LGTBQIA Resources, by Diana West