Child Care –
- Presentation provided to the Kansas Early Childhood Systems Building Webinar on Sept. 21.
- Brenda attended the Early Head Start coordinator meeting & provided information about breastfeeding & the Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Provider designation.
- The “How to Support Breastfeeding Mothers & Families” child care training course will be presented in Spanish on a quarterly basis starting Oct. 20. Details here.
- Holly Skinner with Oklahoma Mother’s Milk Bank provided information at the September Child Care Section meeting about encouraging parents to donate breast milk.
- Section reviewed & discussed the CDC 2022 Breastfeeding Report Card.
- Continued discussion regarding what resources are most beneficial to child care providers & families.
Cara Gerhardt, High 5 for Mom & Baby Coordinator, provided a presentation on the application process and common myths. Those who are interested in receiving email communications and Ten Step Tuesday Tips can contact email@example.com. Misty Scott shared information about her new role as Maternal Child Benefits Specialist for the KBC. Future Section meeting topics will include staff education, hands-on training, and healthcare team communication.
The Hospital Section meets on the 4th Thursday of odd months from 12-1. Our next meeting will be Thursday, January 26 from 12-1.
Local Coalitions –
The Local Coalitions Section had project sharing from Geary County Breastfeeding Coalition’s work with the Delivering Change Initiative and Ford County Breastfeeding Coalition’s Baby Expo. They reviewed the KBC’s Local Coalition Toolkit which provides non-grant ideas for generating revenue. Local Coalitions are invited to update meeting information on the Local Coalitions Calendar. Consider swinging by another coalition meeting for ideas, networking, and support! Future meetings will focus on learning moments on social media guidance and coalition management.
The Local Coalition Section meets on the 2nd Thursday of odd months. Our next meeting will be Thursday, January 11 from 12-1.
Public Health –
The Public Health Section continued the Deep Dive series into the Breastfeeding Friendly Local Health Department Criteria #3 – Staff Education. The Section viewed the staff education video together and discussed ideas on implementation. The KBC’s new Maternal Child Benefits Specialists shared about their work assisting pregnant and postpartum families in applying for Medicaid and CHIP. 2023 Public Health Section meetings will focus on the BF LHD Deep Dive series and Learning Moments.
The section meets on the 3rd Thursday of even months. Our next meeting will be Thursday, December 15 from 11-12.