Support for Breastfeeding Employees and Students
We are committed to assisting employers and employees make returning to work and continuing to breastfeed not only possible but encouraged!
Door Hanger – makes any room an instant lactation room! And it’s FREE! Email email@example.com to order
Resources for Employees and Their Supporters:
- Referral Form – Need help working with your employer? Use this form to request additional help from the Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition staff.
- Talking to Your Boss About Your Pump – Helps you make a plan to take care of your breastfeeding needs at work. It explains your legal protections and gives you practical tips for how to talk to your boss about breastfeeding accommodations.
- Checklist – Returning to Work – what you need to successful on the first day back to work or school
- 5-Steps for Returning to Work LLL
- Resource and Referral Guide for Breastfeeding Employees and their Employers – Chart to direct you to information or support related to workplace lactation accommodation and discrimination.
- “Breastfeeding Works: How To Support Nursing Employees and Students” webinar overview of federal laws pertaining to breastfeeding employees
- Online Guide: What You Need to Know About the “Break Time for Nursing Mothers” Law – list of common FAQs about the “Break Time for Nursing Mothers Act”
- Enforcement Guidance for Pregnancy Discrimination Act, EEOC – NEW protection for breastfeeding employees, lactation is a “medically related condition” to pregnancy
- Returning to Work – USDA WIC resources and advice for breastfeeding mothers returning to work
- Letter to Employer:
Resources for Employers:
- Sample Policy – easily added to employee handbooks, increases communication and reduced risk of complaints
- Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division’s Fact Sheet #73 (FAQ)
- Posters to display in breakrooms from U.S. Dept. of Labor about federal protections for breastfeeding employees English version &
- Supporting Nursing Moms at Work: Employer Solutions – practical solutions from over 20 industries, including several businesses in Kansas, for time and space accommodations
- Apply for the Breastfeeding Employee Support Award – we’d like to add you to the list of over 250 award-winning employers in Kansas!
- Mother’s stories
- Employer Perspective
- Compliance with the federal law and basic worksite solutions (30-mins.)
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act and federal laws (50-mins.)
- “Let’s Give Her a Break” Poster for breakrooms. Help co-workers and supervisors get on board! (Let’sGiveBreak poster Spanish) (Let’sGiveBreak poster somali)
- Title IX protection for breastfeeding students from The Pregnant Scholar
- Ask about Section 504 accommodations to receive accommodations (K-12 students)
For School Districts:
- KBC School District Baseline Assessment Report (7/1/2017)- shows how school districts in Kansas are supporting breastfeeding employees. Contains resources, examples of districts solutions and sample policy for school districts
- “Let’s Give Her a Break” for schools (poster)
- Communication Plan – depicts how support is communicated from the first family meeting through the first month after returning to work
- Success Stories:
For Colleges & Universities:
- Toolkit for Establishing Breastfeeding Support on University and College Campuses:
- Posters – directed to students with messages to continue breastfeeding while studying.
- First “Breastfeeding Friendly Campus” in US – Southern Connecticut
Outside of Kansas? Program materials and implementation assistance are available for a fee. Contact Brenda Bandy at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.