Support for Breastfeeding Employees and Students
We are committed to assisting employers and employees to make returning to work and continuing to breastfeed not only possible but encouraged!
Resources for Employees and Their Supporters:
- Referral Form – Need help working with your employer? Use this form to request additional help from the Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition staff.
- Talking to Your Boss About Your Pump – Helps you make a plan to take care of your breastfeeding needs at work. It explains your legal protections and gives you practical tips for how to talk to your boss about breastfeeding accommodations.
- Checklist – Returning to Work – what you need to succeed on the first day back to work or school
- Breast Pump Bag Tag (request by email at email@example.com)
- 5-Steps for Returning to Work LLL
- Resource and Referral Guide for Breastfeeding Employees and their Employers – Chart to direct you to information or support related to workplace lactation accommodation and discrimination.
- “Breastfeeding Works: How To Support Nursing Employees and Students” webinar overview of federal laws pertaining to breastfeeding employees
- Online Guide: What You Need to Know About the “Break Time for Nursing Mothers” Law – list of common FAQs about the “Break Time for Nursing Mothers Act”
- Enforcement Guidance for Pregnancy Discrimination Act, EEOC – NEW protection for breastfeeding employees, lactation is a “medically related condition” to pregnancy
- Returning to Work – USDA WIC resources and advice for breastfeeding mothers returning to work
- Letter to Employer:
Resources for Employers:
- Sample Policy – easily added to employee handbooks, increases communication and reduced risk of complaints
- Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division’s Fact Sheet #73 (FAQ)
- Posters to display in breakrooms from U.S. Dept. of Labor about federal protections for breastfeeding employees English version &
- Supporting Nursing Moms at Work: Employer Solutions – practical solutions from over 20 industries, including several businesses in Kansas, for time and space accommodations
- Apply for the Breastfeeding Employee Support Award – we’d like to add you to the list of over 250 award-winning employers in Kansas!
- Mother’s stories
- Employer Perspective
- Compliance with federal law and basic worksite solutions (30-mins.)
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act and federal laws (50-mins.)
- “Let’s Give Her a Break” Poster for breakrooms. Help co-workers and supervisors get on board! (Let’sGiveBreak poster Spanish) (Let’sGiveBreak poster Somali)
- Title IX protections for breastfeeding students from The Pregnant Scholar
- Ask about Section 504 accommodations to receive accommodations (K-12 students)
For School Districts:
- KBC School District Baseline Assessment Report (7/1/2017)- shows how school districts in Kansas are supporting breastfeeding employees. Contains resources, examples of districts solutions and sample policy for school districts
- “Let’s Give Her a Break” for schools (poster)
- Communication Plan – depicts how support is communicated from the first family meeting through the first month after returning to work
- Success Stories:
For Colleges & Universities:
- Toolkit for Establishing Breastfeeding Support on University and College Campuses:
- Posters – directed to students with messages to continue breastfeeding while studying.
- First “Breastfeeding Friendly Campus” in US – Southern Connecticut
Outside of Kansas? Program materials and implementation assistance are available for a fee. Contact Brenda Bandy at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.