Child Care Provider Education
“The Ellsworth Childcare and Learning Center welcomes moms to come down on their breaks to nurse their babies in a private and comfortable area. Knowing I was going to be able to nurse my son at noon almost every day helped ease the transition of having to go back to a full time job.” – A breastfeeding mother
In Kansas, 90% of mothers choose to breastfeed. These families look for child care providers that support their decision.
Are you a parent looking for a child care provider that supports breastfeeding?
- Questions to ask a child care program to determine their support for breastfeeding infants
- Listing of “Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Providers” (scroll down)
- Use this guide to search the Child Care Aware of Kansas online system to find a breastfeeding supportive child care provider. Call 1-877-678-2548 if you have questions.
Cuidado de los Niños:
- ¿Está buscando un programa de cuidado infantil que apoye la lactancia?
- Preguntas que debe hacer en la búsqueda de cuidado infantil
Are you a child care provider wanting to support breastfeeding families?
- Join the KBC’s Child Care Section which meets online on the 2nd Wed. of odd # months from 12-1 pm. Register here.
- Become a “Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Provider” a designation administered by Child Care Aware of Kansas.
- Toolkit (Spanish)
- Application (Spanish)
- FAQ (Spanish)
- Listing of “Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Providers”
- Promotional Flyer
“Having a daycare provider who worked with me to provide my little ones with breastmilk, even when I couldn’t directly be there, was very empowering. I was able to save money, help my child grow, and be a working mother without compromise or stress” Katie from Desiree’s ChildCare
Training for Child Care Providers:
“How to Support Breastfeeding Mothers & Families” is available each month for FREE through Kansas Child Care Training Opportunities. Registration information. Graduates of the class can proudly display the “We Care for Breastfed Babies” window decal which will be provided along with a handy “Feeding Tips” reference card. The class has been approved for 2 clock hours of in-service training from KDHE. Promotional flyer for the class. NOW available in Spanish 4x/year!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule in-person training for centers or groups.
- Paced Bottle Feeding
- Child Care Supporting Breastfeeding Families (4-minutes)
- How to Support Breastfeeding Mothers & Families: A Simple Guide for Child Care Providers
- How to combine breastfeeding and a safe sleep environment to reduce the risk of SIDS
- How to support breastfeeding in child care centers and family child care homes (from CACFP)
- NEW Child Care Providers and Breastfeeding Support – 1-page promotional flyer for KS child care providers
- “Breastfeeding Support in the Child Care Setting” – 2-page summary of what child care providers need to know to support breastfeeding families / Spanish Version (Español)
- “Supporting the Breastfed Infant During Emergencies in the Child Care Setting” – prepare to support the breastfeeding infant during emergencies./ Spanish Version (Español)
- Supporting Breastfeeding Families in ECE (CDC)
- Storage, Handling, and Preparing of Breastmilk in ECE (CDC)
- Solid Foods in ECE (CDC)
- Continuity of Care (CoC) Toolkit – tools to support communications with families seeking licensed child care enrollment.
- Breastfeeding & Infant Feeding: No & Low-Cost Best Practices (NAPSACC)/ Spanish Version (Español)
- “Creating a Breastfeeding Friendly Environment” Photographic Diagram
- Breastfeeding Basics (NAPSACC)/Spanish Version (Español)
- Breastfeeding Friendly Books & Toys
- “Do this…Not This” Tips Sheet for Child Care Providers / Spanish Version (Español)
- Resource List for Providers & Families/ Spanish Version (Español)
- Breastfed Babies Welcome Here!
- Feeding Tips
- Infant Feeding Guide /Spanish Version (Español)
- Infant Feeding Plan / Spanish Version (Español)
- “Breastfeeding” poster
- Safe Sleep & Breastfeeding:
Kids These Days Podcast: Q&A – Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition & the Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Provider Designation
Success Story: Promoting Healthy Practices in Early Care and Education through Breastfeeding Support in Kansas
Breastfeeding and Kansas Early Childhood Strategic Plan
Checklist: Early Childhood Systems Support for Breastfeeding
“Point in Time Data” – from Child Care Aware of KS, Point-In-Time Data Sheets by County with information about the status of child care supply and demand, includes information about the different types of child care available, rates for part-time and full-time care, census data, and other key data, to assist communities – including families, employers, and other community leaders – across Kansas as they work to address critical child care shortages.