Support for Breastfeeding Employees and Students
We are committed to assisting employers and employees to make returning to work and continuing to breastfeed not only possible but encouraged!
Assistance during COVID-19 pandemic:
- Your COVID-19 Workplace Rights: Breastfeeding and Lactation (Spanish)
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Your Workplace Rights
- Pumping at Work: Supporting Lactating Employees During Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Care for Breastfeeding People (CDC) – lactation room guidance near the bottom of page
- WorkLife Law Helpline to assist with workplace challenges related to breastfeeding during the pandemic.
Resources for Employees and their supporters:
- 1-866-487-9243 or (913) 551-5721 in Kansas for Question or Complaints – Wage & Hour Division, U.S. Department of Labor
- Referral Form – Need help working with your employer? Use this form to request additional help from the Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition staff.
- Talking to Your Boss About Your Pump – Helps you make a plan to take care of your breastfeeding needs at work. It explains your legal protections and gives you practical tips for how to talk to your boss about breastfeeding accommodations.
- Checklist – Returning to Work – what you need to succeed on the first day back to work or school
- Breast Pump Bag Tag (Order here)
- Working & Breastfeeding (35- min. video, from Jessica Donahue, RN, IBCLC, Little Rock, Arkansas)
- 5-Steps for Returning to Work LLL
- Resource and Referral Guide for Breastfeeding Employees and their Employers – Chart to direct you to information or support related to workplace lactation accommodation and discrimination.
- “Breastfeeding Works: How To Support Nursing Employees and Students” webinar overview of federal laws pertaining to breastfeeding employees
- Online Guide: What You Need to Know About the “Break Time for Nursing Mothers” Law – list of common FAQs about the “Break Time for Nursing Mothers Act”
- Enforcement Guidance for Pregnancy Discrimination Act, EEOC – NEW protection for breastfeeding employees, lactation is a “medically related condition” to pregnancy
- Returning to Work – USDA WIC resources and advice for breastfeeding mothers returning to work
- Letter to Employer:
- Let’s Give Break poster (Spanish)
- Federal Law – Madres Que Están Amamantando
- Embarazo: Tiene derecho a ser tratado con igualdad – U.S. Dept. of Labor, rights and resources for pregnant and lactating employees
- Wallet card, federal law – Receso para Madres que Amamantan
Resources for Employers:
- Employer Report – results of 2021 Kansas employer survey and best practices for supporting breastfeeding employees
- Sample Policy – easily added to employee handbooks, increases communication and reduced risk of complaints
- Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division’s Fact Sheet #73 (FAQ)
- Posters to display in breakrooms from U.S. Dept. of Labor about federal protections for breastfeeding employees English version &
- Supporting Nursing Moms at Work: Employer Solutions – practical solutions from over 20 industries, including several businesses in Kansas, for time and space accommodations
- Apply for the Breastfeeding Employee Support Award – we’d like to add you to the list of over 250 award-winning employers in Kansas!
- CDC Worksite Health ScoreCard Manual
- Ohio Workplace PLUS Toolkit
- Making It Work (New York Dept. of Health)
- Tool Kit – Investigating Workplace Breastfeeding Programs & Policies (National Business Group on Health)
- Mother’s stories
- Employer Perspective
- Compliance with federal law and basic worksite solutions (30-mins.)
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act and federal laws (50-mins.)
- “Let’s Give Her a Break” Poster for breakrooms. Help co-workers and supervisors get on board! (Let’sGiveBreak poster Spanish) (Let’sGiveBreak poster Somali)
- Door Hanger – makes any room an instant lactation room! And it’s FREE! (Order here)
- Title IX protections for breastfeeding students from The Pregnant Scholar
- Ask about Section 504 accommodations to receive accommodations (K-12 students)
For School Districts:
- “Grab & Go” Support for Breastfeeding Faculty & Staff (summary document)
- Video – Supporting Breastfeeding Faculty & Staff (slides)
- “Let’s Give Her a Break” for schools (poster)
- Communication Plan – depicts how support is communicated from the first family meeting through the first month after returning to work
- Success Stories:
- KBC School District Baseline Assessment Report (7/1/2017)- shows how school districts in Kansas are supporting breastfeeding employees. Contains resources, examples of districts solutions and sample policy for school districts
For Colleges & Universities:
- Toolkit for Establishing Lactation Support on University and College Campuses
- Lactation 101: Lactation Accommodations in Los Angeles County Higher Education
- Posters – directed to students with messages to continue breastfeeding while studying.
- First “Breastfeeding Friendly Campus” in US – Southern Connecticut
Outside of Kansas? Program materials and implementation assistance are available for a fee. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.