Child Care Provider Education
NEW Resource – “Supporting the Breastfed Infant During Emergencies in the Child Care Setting“. Be prepared to support the breastfeeding infant during emergencies.
In Kansas, 85% of mothers choose to breastfeed. These families look for child care providers that support their decision. Check out any of these options to better serve your families:
- A two-hour training for child care providers, “How to Support Breastfeeding Mothers & Families” is available each month for FREE through Kansas Child Care Training Opportunities. Registration information: https://kccto.org/register/online-course-registration. This course will increase child care providers understanding of breastfed baby behavior and how to support the breastfeeding relationship, using the latest techniques and research. Graduates of the class can proudly display the “We Care for Breastfed Babies” window decal which will be provided along with a handy “Feeding Tips” reference card. The class has been approved for 2 clock hours of in-service training from KDHE.
- A one-hour introductory training “Introduction to Supporting the Breastfeeding Family” is available for FREE HERE. This training has NOT been approved for KDHE credit for child care providers. To receive KDHE credit, please complete the 2-hour course “How to Support the Breastfeeding Mother & Family” listed above.
- Listing of “Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Providers”, a designation administered by Child Care Aware of Kansas. Application and FAQ for this designation. 2016 Flyer to promote the designation.
- NEW CACFP meal pattern regulations which allows for reimbursement of meals when a breastfeeding mother comes to the child care center or home and directly breastfeeds her infant – fns.usda.gov/cacfp/meals-and-snacks
- Use this guide to search the Child Care Aware of Kansas online system to find a breastfeeding supportive child care provider. Call 1-877-678-2548 if you have questions.
- Child Care Providers Role in Supporting Breastfeeding webpage from Child Care Aware of America
Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care videos
The Breastfeeding Coalition of Oregon and the Indiana Perinatal Network collaborated to launch two breastfeeding-friendly child care videos. The first is for child care providers, and the second is for parents.
• How to Support Breastfeeding Mothers & Families: A Simple Guide for Child Care Providers
• Seeking Support for Breastfeeding at Work and Child Care
- How to combine breastfeeding and a safe sleep environment to reduce the risk of SIDS
- How to support breastfeeding in child care centers and family child care homes (from CACFP)
- Paced Bottle Feeding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
- Training Videos – 4 videos, less than 10 minutes, each from University of California, San Diego.
Resources for download (pdfs):
- NEW “Do this…Not This” Tips Sheet for Child Care Providers
- Resource List for Providers & Families
- Feeding Tips
- Infant Feeding Guide
- Infant Feeding Plan
- Breastfeeding Friendly Books & Toys
- Policy Sample
- Safe Infant Sleep and Breastfeeding Support: What to Consider When Looking for Child Care
- Breastfeeding and Safe Sleep
- Care Giver of the Breastfed Baby Handout
Contact Brenda at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule in-person trainings for centers or groups.