Child Care Provider Education
In Kansas, 90% of mothers choose to breastfeed. These families look for child care providers that support their decision.
Are you a parent looking for a child care provider that supports breastfeeding? Use this guide to search the Child Care Aware of Kansas online system to find a breastfeeding supportive child care provider. Call 1-877-678-2548 if you have questions.
Are you a child care provider wanting to support breastfeeding families? Become a “Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Provider” a designation administered by Child Care Aware of Kansas.
Training for Child Care Providers:
- “How to Support Breastfeeding Mothers & Families” is available each month for FREE through Kansas Child Care Training Opportunities. Registration information. Graduates of the class can proudly display the “We Care for Breastfed Babies” window decal which will be provided along with a handy “Feeding Tips” reference card and a “Breast Pump Bag Tag” to give to parents. The class has been approved for 2 clock hours of in-service training from KDHE.
- A one-hour introductory training “Introduction to Supporting the Breastfeeding Family” is available for FREE HERE. This training has NOT been approved for KDHE credit for child care providers. To receive KDHE credit, please complete the 2-hour course “How to Support the Breastfeeding Mother & Family” listed above.
Email email@example.com to schedule in-person training for centers or groups.
- Paced Bottle Feeding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
- How to Support Breastfeeding Mothers & Families: A Simple Guide for Child Care Providers
- How to combine breastfeeding and a safe sleep environment to reduce the risk of SIDS
- How to support breastfeeding in child care centers and family child care homes (from CACFP)
- Training Videos – 4 videos, less than 10 minutes, each from the University of California, San Diego.
- “Breastfeeding Support in the Child Care Setting” – 2-page summary of what child care providers need to know to support breastfeeding families
- “Supporting the Breastfed Infant During Emergencies in the Child Care Setting” – prepare to support the breastfeeding infant during emergencies.
- Child Care Providers Role in Supporting Breastfeeding webpage from Child Care Aware of America
- Breastfeeding Friendly Books & Toys
- “Do this…Not This” Tips Sheet for Child Care Providers
- Resource List for Providers & Families
- Breastfed Babies Welcome Here!
- Feeding Tips
- Infant Feeding Guide
- Infant Feeding Plan
- Policy Sample
- Safe Infant Sleep and Breastfeeding Support: What to Consider When Looking for Child Care
- Breastfeeding and Safe Sleep
- “Breastfeeding” poster