Child Care Provider Education
In Kansas, 85% of mothers choose to breastfeed. These families look for child care providers that support their decision. Check out any of these options to better serve your families:
- A two-hour training for child care providers, “How to Support Breastfeeding Mothers & Families” is available each month for FREE through Kansas Child Care Training Opportunities. Registration information HERE. This course will increase child care providers understanding of breastfed baby behavior and how to support the breastfeeding relationship, using the latest techniques and research. Graduates of the class can proudly display the “We Care for Breastfed Babies” window decal which will be provided along with a handy “Feeding Tips” reference card. The class has been approved for 2 clock hours of in-service training from KDHE.
- A one-hour introductory training “Introduction to Supporting the Breastfeeding Family” is available for FREE HERE. This training has NOT been approved for KDHE credit for child care providers. To receive KDHE credit, please complete the 2-hour course “How to Support the Breastfeeding Mother & Family” listed above.
- Listing of “Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Providers”, a designation administered by Child Care Aware of Kansas. Application to apply for this designation. 2016 Flyer to promote the designation.
- NEW CACFP meal pattern regulations which allows for reimbursement of meals when a breastfeeding mother comes to the child care center or home and directly breastfeeds her infant – http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/cacfp/CACFP_infantmealstandards.pdf
Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care videos
The Breastfeeding Coalition of Oregon and the Indiana Perinatal Network collaborated to launch two breastfeeding-friendly child care videos. The first is for child care providers, and the second is for parents.
• How to Support Breastfeeding Mothers & Families: A Simple Guide for Child Care Providers
• Seeking Support for Breastfeeding at Work and Child Care
- Paced Bottle Feeding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
Resources for download (pdfs):
- Resource List for Providers & Families
- “Feeding Tips” card
- Infant Feeding Guide
- Infant Feeding Plan
- Breastfeeding Friendly Books & Toys
- Policy Sample
Contact Brenda at email@example.com to schedule in-person trainings for centers or groups.